Wednesday, July 6

the luck of the Irish....

 Today I found a four leaf clover in our backyard!! The first one of my lifetime! As I now bare an Irish name, I thought I would look up the importance and tradition behind the four leaf clover.

The four-leaf clover is an uncommon variation of the common, three-leaved clover. According to tradition, such leaves bring good luck to their finders, especially if found accidentally. According to legend, each leaf represents something: the first is for faith, the second is for hope, the third is for love, and the fourth is for luck. Ah ha, so that is why only the four leaf clovers are lucky! Although it is the four leaf clover that is considered lucky, the "Shamrock" which is the trade marked symbol of Ireland is only the three leaf clover.

I also found that clovers can have more than four leaves: the most ever recorded is 56 discovered in Japan.







In honor of finding such a rarity today, I guess I will touch on each leaf and discuss faith, hope, love, and luck in my own life.

Faith: I have faith in many things, but the most faith I have is in God. I have to believe and want to believe that God watches down on all of us and has meaning and direction for us all. Faith is about believing without seeing, and my experiences, family, and friends are all indications to me that God has a plan for me and has put certain people in my life to lead me there. Now, I'll be honest, I've not been a "good Catholic girl." I don't go church as much as I probably should, but at the same time I know I have God in my life and I talk with Him everyday. He hears, He listens, He answers. I can't see it, but I believe it! :)

Hope: Hopes and Dreams right.... sure I have them. But most of my hopes are for this world we live in. Everyday there are horrible, terrible things being reported in the news. New wars sparking up between countries everywhere. Land, oil, food, religion... humans have been killing each other ever since our creation. We are a deceitful, selfish, intolerant race. My true hope is that somehow the world can get back to basics. Start living our lives not only for ourselves but for others. I know this kinda falls along the lines of "World Peace," and I know that honestly that will never happen. I guess I just hope that the world could relearn how to be nice, to truly care about their neighbors.

Love: Well this is easy because I have so much of it! The first love I ever knew was of my family, ALL OF THEM! Parents, grandparents, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins, the whole lot! I have a great family!  Then I found Gary! My husband who shows me all the love in the world. He is a constant support, a protector, not much for cuddling, but pretty much all around best husband ever! He listens to my rants and raves, makes jokes when I need them the most. Everyday is a smile! I have the love of my puppy Bentley. He bites me a lot, but I think it is all in love. When Gary and Bentley wait for me on the front porch as I drive up from a long day at work, that is pretty much the best!

Luck: Luck is a fickle thing. Some days you feel on top of the world, the luckiest person. Other days you can pretty much find a way to complain about everything, pretty unlucky. I haven't thought too long on the subject, but I think for the most part you make your own luck. Maybe there is a small degree of actual luck, like winning the lottery, you can't really plan that. But I think if you're smart, resourceful, level headed you can find a way to turn something bad (unlucky) into something good (lucky). The luck of the Irish can be for everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment