Tuesday, September 21

going vegetarian

Monday was the beginning of Gary's and my new life... our exercise and healthy eating life that is. Since the festivities of our wedding and honeymoon, we have kinda fallen off the healthy life bandwagon! I mean, it isn't like we eat BigMacs every day or anything, but we'd like to shape up a little. Anyway, our schedules are kinda all over, so it will be hard to work out together (we usually run together). Gary has to wake up early every weekday and so his best time to work out is in the afternoon. There is a gym at his work where he can lift weights, or he can come home to run. For me, I'm a little crazier. I only work 3 days a week, but when I get home at night it is pretty much dinner and bed... so tired. So the best workout times for me are the mornings of my days off. So complicated, I know, but all you have to know is we are going to be eating less ice-cream and more cauliflower.

Here is the recipe for our first dinner as healthy people. I just made it up, so don't think it is anything super special. Although, super easy to make. Spaghetti Squash with other vegetables is what I call it. haha

1. Preheat oven to 450F. split spaghetti squash in half length-wise drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake in over for 30-40 min.

2. take 1/2 and onion and grate it on a cheese grater.

3. thinly slice up one zucchini and one yellow squash (any mandolins out there, perfect.... I however did not register for one.... tragic!) Feel free to sub/add any other veggies you like, eggplant, carrots, etc.

4. Add some olive oil to a saute pan (large enough for the veggies) add onion, zucchini, and yellow squash.

5. After veggies are cooked down a bit, add one can diced tomatoes, drained (reduced sodium of course) and one can tomato sauce. voila .... homemade veggie sauce.

6. Once spaghetti squash is done, remove "strands" from skin with a fork. Either add to sauce or place on plates and ladle sauce over top.

Hope you try the dinner, it actually is really good... for all veggies. Gary even likes it, although he quickly let me know he couldn't possibly live if he was only allowed to eat vegetables. We will keep you updated on our new lifestyle!

until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment